Head of Product & Business Development
Over the last 4-5 years, OTT providers like Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Apple Facetime, WeChat, Line, Hike, and others have been growing their subscriber base in record numbers by offering free calling and messaging communication that ride on top of our networks.
Are OTT providers, who leverage our networks, a threat to our business or should we embrace and agree to a co-opetition model that can benefit both sides?
· Should we embrace OTT communications application providers who are using our networks to essentially compete against and devalue our own core business?
· Is there any way to create a logical co-operation with them or has that ship already sailed?
· Facebook/ WhatsApp/ WeChat and others have made significant progress with their messaging apps over the last few years. What could have we done more over the last 5 years?
· Can we build our own cooperative OTT eco-system to compete against the fragmented app2app OTT communications eco-system the way we all agreed to interop years ago for SMS?
· Messaging apps don’t take up nearly as much data usage or bandwidth as streaming video/ music/ etc. But what happens when calling/messaging communications evolve overnight into video communications?